Saturday, February 22, 2014

Extreme views

I spend considerable time watching political talking heads on TV and it occurs to me that they are having a negative effect on the country and the way many in the country think about issues. For the most part these TV shows bring together people who are committed to a particular ideology and allow them to present their views. I feel this limits the viewer’s choices and leads to false conclusions. It is like saying would you like the shower water to be too hot or too cold. It is much like the old battle between good and evil where things are black and white whereas in the real world that I live in things are for the most part kind of gray. Each of us has certain principals that we will not compromise on but not every issue is a life and death principal. I sometimes get the feeling that if one side announced that summer would be here in June the other side would object. I would like to see a show where they investigate the middle on some important issues presented by people who are not so committed to one side that they cannot see the middle. My guess is that the producers of these shows feel that they would not get an audience if they presented the middle view and they may be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment