Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Obama after five years

When President Obama ran for office the first time in 2008, I did not vote for him because I believed that he lacked the necessary experience to properly handle the responsibilities of the office. After observing The President these past five years, I feel my initial reservations have been confirmed. My concern was more than his just having less than two years in the senate but that I do not view the senate as the proper venue to gain the executive experience needed for the job. I believe to be commander in chief you need to have been in a position of authority over things like people and budgets. This is where managers have to make the tough decisions and where they hone their leadership skills. I think we need to look to people who have been governors, or CEO’s or Generals. As a senator you are one of 100 of your peers and you negotiate with one another. That is much different than sitting alone at the top. As a governor you are working with tax payer money to protect your employees and the citizens of your state. You must make long term plans that are restrained by budgets and unions. The same can be said of military leaders and much like a CEO but he has stockholders to respond to instead of tax payers. As a senator Obama never had to meet a payroll, or set up a benefit plan for employees or satisfy a house full of elected officials or negotiate with a union. There may be senators that have the necessary leadership qualities but I don’t think it wise to find out if they have the skills after they are elected president. As I look ahead to Mrs. Clinton at least she was head of the state department where she got some executive experience and her time there gives us a glimpse of her leadership skills. Her record at state will be examined more closely if she runs for president.

No comments:

Post a Comment