Sunday, April 27, 2014

terror insurance

Recent coverage of floods around the country has raised the awareness regarding flood insurance. People now understand that their home owner’s policy does not cover flood and that they must purchase a special policy provided by the government and sold through private insurance companies. There is another potential hazard that most people are not aware of and there is currently no insurance available to cover this hazard. I live 10 miles from a nuclear power plant and if an accident occurred there and radiation escaped and contaminated my house the power companies have set up an emergency fund to cover my loss. They would cover all of my expenses associated with my having to relocate until such time as the radiation threat was removed. In the event that a terrorist would set off a dirty bomb in Minneapolis the prevailing north-westerly winds would bring radioactive dust particles to my house and I would have to vacate. Any direct damage caused by such a bomb would be covered but the radiation hazard is not covered. In other words I may have to live years away from my house but would be responsible for making the loan payments while I incurred rent expenses at some new location. I have contacted the state insurance department concerning this issue and have received no response. I have contacted several large insurance companies and they seem to be uninterested. It would have to be a government policy similar to flood insurance and neither the government nor the insurance companies seem to care. If such a terror attach ever occurs it will be after the fact when everyone wakes up and says we need some type of insurance to cover things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment