Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Adlai and Ike

In the 50's when I was in college, I was politically actively campaigning for Adlai Stevenson and we got our news from the papers. I would go to the library and read yesterdays St. Louis Post Dispatch and the Chicago Tribune and nothing has changed. Those two papers were worlds apart on all things politic. Nothing has changed over the years as was brought home today watching Fox and MSNBC. Fox proclaimed the speech as a litany of Trumps accomplishments and Morning Joe said it was a litany of his lies. I bring this up to point out that each generation thinks things are worse than they have ever been but in fact things are like they have always been. I remember one debate between Ike and Adlai when the big news the next day was that Adlai had a hole in the bottom of his shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment