Monday, June 22, 2020

Police stops

In response to the strained relationships between the Black community and the police, several prominent Black leaders have revealed conversations they had with their teenage sons, advising them on how to handle encounters with the police. My hope is that they advised their sons to be civil and not to resist. I have had a number of interactions with police in my life. Recently, I was walking early in the morning and the police stopped me and asked my name, my birth date and home address. I inquired as to why I was stopped and the officer said he was responding to a complaint that a person was throwing sticks at passing cars. Another time I was riding my bicycle home from work and was stopped and asked for ID and I provided it and the officer said they were looking for a robbery suspect. I was stopped for driving too slow on a busy road in Tempe and the officer was quite rude. He suggested that if I couldn't drive faster I should stay off the highway. Once in Arkansas I passed a car on the right shoulder and was stopped. I got a lecture about the number of accidents that this behavior causes and I all cases I was polite and answered all questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment