Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Veterans Day

This is a note I sent to my grandchildren recognizing that many young people are not familiar with Veterans Day. This coming Monday, November 11th is Veterans Day. World War 1 ended in 1918 and the official peace treaty was signed in Versailles, France at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month and so we celebrate this holiday on November 11th. It is the day we honor all of our service people both dead and alive.If we did not have the freedoms that these service people preserved for us, we would not have any holidays, so I believe this makes Veterans Day the most important holiday. When your mom was little I wanted to impress on her the importance of this holiday so I wrote a short verse to remind her. The verse is important today when we see the wounded warriors who have such terrible injuries. Because of the advancements in field medicine many warriors who in past wars would have died are now returning home with these serious injuries. Here is the verse I wrote and I hope it has some meaning for you. I suggest that on this day you make it a point to thank a veteran.If you don't know any, you can call Grandpa Whyle and thank him. I am sure he will appreciate it. He was just a young man, when the call went out Would he fight for his country, there would be no doubt They worked him and trained him, and gave him a gun Then onto the boat, with a go get'um son The battle raged fierce, the guns were so lond The sky was all red, his mind in a cloud When next he awoke, all wrapped in a chair And heard the doc say, he'd always be there Now the days all drag by, the past drifts away He sits on the porch, and has nothing to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment