Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Race

When I was growing up our sports heroes were noted for their humility and this was best illustrated by Lou Gehrig. He would say things like, Aw shucks guys, I just tried to help the team. This was the norm until Ali came along and announced to the world, I am the greatest. This was followed up mostly by black athletes with their trash talk on the court and dancing in the end zone. I personally thought the dancer should run down the field and shake hands with the offensive linemen but that is old school. When Sam Phillips said about Elvis, If I could find a white man who had the Negro sound and Negro feel, I could make a billion dollars When Joe Biden said what many were thinking about Obama he surprised many. I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy Now we have come full circle with Trump saying the equivalent of I am the greatest. Maybe we are getting away from some of our stereotypes and on our way to a race free society.

No comments:

Post a Comment