Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Halloween

Is Halloween dying and if so why. When I was a child, maybe seven or so, I went with my mother to her friends house. She was wealthy by our standards and had on her coffee table a small bowl with cubed shaped light blue mints. I was gazing intently at them and she offered me one and I thought is was the greatest thing ever. Another time a second grader named Leo came to school and he had two pieces of bubble gum and we all envied him. When my wife was growing up on the farm at Christmas her dad would bring how a chunk of hard candies and they would break it apart and each one got a piece. The point is that a piece of candy those 70 plus years ago was a big deal. Today all households have candy on hand year around and getting a treat on Halloween is not the thrill it used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment