Thursday, July 25, 2024

Hate

There is much in the news about the divisions within the country and often times the news goes to extremes by talking about hate. Hate should be for ideas and policies not people. You can hate injustice, poverty and sickness but not the people who are the cause and effect. Once when I was working a customer called and complained about the shipment he received. He was so upset I got on the plane in Atlanta and flew to Pittsburgh to see first hand what he was talking about. When I got there and inspected the shipment he pointed out the various things that were wrong and as he talked he got angrier and angrier and finally he said I must be an idiot. When we got into the office I told him how important it was that he point out the problems with our product and our service but that he had crossed the line when he insulted me. I recall he looked stunned and was quiet for about 20 seconds and then he apologized. In churches they say to hate the sin and not the sinner. It is acceptable to be critical of people's ideas and behavior but hate should not be part of the equation. Learn to disagree in a civilized manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment