Wednesday, May 28, 2014

School lunch

I subbed at Twin Bluff Middle School in Red Wind today and part of my duties included lunch room. I watched once again the amount of food being thrown away which I estimate at 25% but there seemed to be a lot of green beans. I investigated and found out that the student must choose one vegetable or one fruit. Today the choices were green beans and/or apple sauce. They are required by law to make this choice but they don’t have to eat it. They are also required to take milk and many did not drink that. I think that Mrs. Obamas girls probably eat what they are told and it is a healthy diet but many parents may not be as concerned as Mrs. Obama. Before we just mandate certain food it would be prudent to find out if the students will eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment