Thursday, November 10, 2016

I voted

I subbed at the high school today and one of the teachers asked my thoughts on the election. I told them in the end I decided to vote for Trump. I was going to write in the name Kasich but a friend told me that it would be a vote for Trump so I just checked Trump. He said he voted for Clinton and I told him why I thought he might do that. I told him that over the past 30 years that he has been teaching he went to work to a job he mostly enjoyed and with good working conditions. I told him he watched the equity build in his home while his pension got larger. I told him he had a decent health plan along with benefits like vacation, holiday pay and sick leave. I told him he was able to take the family on vacation and help with college expenses. I told him that these things that he rightfully earned with his diploma made him a part of the establishment and that Clinton would keep things going in his direction. Then I told him about the 70% of the population that did not go to college and how all too many of them have watched their lives come to a standstill over the past 45 years as their income stagnated. Even as they made the transition to two income families they still lived pay check to pay check. They were downsized to jobs they didn’t like and all too often in work situations that lacked a way out. They listened year after year to politicians making promises to help them to a better life and nothing came of it and so they finally found a ray of hope in Trump. They were so desperate that they were willing to overlook his many flaws on the outside chance that maybe he was different than the typical politician. Will things change? We will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment