Sunday, July 7, 2019

Deregulation

Case study on deregulation. In my early years I worked for a large corporation and was moved 8 times in 14 years. Each time I would contact a lady in the home office and she would work with me on the move. It did not matter which moving company I selected as the price was the same and was determined by government regulations. The trucking companies were happy with this arrangement as it allowed all of them to make a profit. Years later after I left the company the industry was deregulated. This was in 1980 and the immediate result was competition which lowered the cost of moving and by significant amounts. While it became cheaper to move the quality of movers was not as good. Some movers saved money by not having proper insurance and some customers were hurt when accidents occurred. Some movers did not have qualified workers and often times personal property was damaged. While competition lowered the price of moving the cost in other ways could be costly so the mover was required to shop for quality and service to get the best deal but they had that option.

No comments:

Post a Comment