Friday, September 6, 2019

Kennedy

When I was in college, I campaigned for Adlai Stevenson when he ran against Ike in 1956. My family were democrats like all of my neighbors and Stevenson got me a job when I was 14. He lost twice to Ike but in 1960 I worked for the Nixon campaign because I didn't think a millionaire like Kennedy could relate to the rest of us. As I look back the democratic party of Kennedy is a world away from the party today. Kennedy was pro military, for lower taxes and a believer in self reliance and being responsible for your own behavior. His policy of ask what you can do for your country appealed to my youthful liberal side. Many people my age not only took care of ourselves but also had to help out our parents and we were fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment