Saturday, December 29, 2012

Guns

In 1969 I was transferred to a small town in Indiana to start up a new plant to cut up and prepackage chicken for Kroger stores. Within a few months we were up and running and I attended a meeting with the managers of 75 stores in the Louisville area. At the meeting I was asked if there were any problems and I pointed out that the packages do not cool properly when stacked more than two high in the coolers. The big boss then stood up and told everyone not to stack more than two high and then turned to me and asked if there was anything else and I responded that there was not. I bring this up because it reminds me of government solutions to problems. Case in point is the uproar over gun control. About 20 something years ago there was a shooting and congress reacted by banning certain rifles. After a number of years the ban was lifted and statistics showed no change in gun violence associated with these rifles. In reaction to the recent school shootings the senate has introduced a bill to ban these same rifles. There is something about people in positions of authority who think that just by banning something they take care of the problem. I think they should ban sin and we could all live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment