Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Bunker down

As the results of the last election sink in both sides are bunkering down to defend their positions and they give no quarter. For a person who is not in either bunker the whole thing borders on the absurd. I am reminded once again of my ten years of experience in that Muslim chat room that I entered just after 9-11. The anti-American atmosphere was dominant and each day someone would bring up some past mistake made by the United States and there were many and then they would wait for my response. When I failed to defend some aspect of foreign policy they were disappointed. I told them that I am capable of thinking for myself and did not find it necessary to follow in lock step with everything the government did or said. I told them that in fact I am very suspicious of government and I don’t trust anything they say. I used the example that if it is 12 noon and some government official says it daytime I would go out and check. On my continuing journey to understand Trump I see him in the bunker sometime and other times he is out. I believe he will listen to as much advice as he can get and then follow his gut to decide. If he brings back good jobs and gets a 4 or 5% GDP everything else will go by the wayside. The one unanticipated road block that could arise is some world shattering event outside of the United States. This is always a hazard for any president.

No comments:

Post a Comment