Sunday, January 8, 2017

Negotiating

On my continuing quest to understand Trump, I was reminded of a time in 1970 that I was sent to manage a plant in Alabama. The previous manager had been fired for various reasons and when I arrived a union had already gathered the 51% of signatures needed to call for an election. One two occasions I met one on one with the union organizer and it was, for me at least, a difficult situation. This man who was in his early 60’s was a challenge. He would be talking in a normal manner and then say something completely contradicting what he had earlier said. In addition he would change his mood going from calm to very excited. This back and forth both verbally and emotionally had me on a roller coaster. At the end of our meetings I left feeling totally discombobulated and having no idea what happened. As I look back now and as I watch Trump I am just wondering if this is some sort of negotiating strategy. In any event the union lost the election 136 to 92 but I attribute that to being in the south where unions are very unpopular.

No comments:

Post a Comment