Saturday, November 7, 2020

Obamacare today

This is an excerpt from an article I wrote in 2014 and it is even more relevant today. As I talk with people about Obamacare, I get the same questions from different groups and by these questions I can see that there is a lot of misunderstanding and one area that needs addition explanation is deductibles. In researching this I find that 90% of articles talk only about premium cost and it is very difficult to find information on deductibles. I don’t know if that is done out of ignorance or by design but it is a topic that needs more discussion. Here is a report for the coming year. For the 2021 plan year: The out-of-pocket limit for a Marketplace plan can't be more than $8,550 for an individual and $17,100 for a family. For the lowest income groups this can be $2,700 for individuals and $5,400 for families. This does not include the cost of the monthly premium which can be reduced by subsidies. The point is that most people will have to pay out of pocket for most of their healthcare.

No comments:

Post a Comment