Monday, September 5, 2022

ESL

Fifteen years ago, I spent two weeks in Thailand. The thing about the visit that sticks in my mind was looking though the job openings in the paper. There I discovered that most jobs paid two or three dollars per hour but some paid six or eight and those had one thing in common. The applicant must speak English. I remember thinking that if I were a young man growing up in Thailand, if I didn't do anything else, I would learn English. It would be a small sacrifice to double or triple my income. The same thing holds true here in the US today. I have subbed in every class in middle and high school and going away the most exciting is English Second Language class. The students in these classes have one thing in common and that is they all want to learn. There is nothing more exhilarating than being in a classroom where students want to learn. Some people push for English to be the official language of the United States but that is not necessary because economics will do the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment