Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Barbara Bush

As I watched the tributes to Barbara Bush and listened to what she said was important, I found myself looking back on my life and I felt very comfortable. Until I got married at age 30 the world revolved around me but all that changed when I met my wife. From her I learned to get out of myself and when my children came along I continued my journey toward sharing. I was not one to go fishing or hunting or other activities that some fathers do with their friends as I spent most of my time with family affairs. We took long trips together spending money I couldn't afford. I attended school related activities and cheered on through victories and defeats. The price I paid was financial since I only worked as much as I needed to provide the basics. I was in a career where income was unlimited if a person wanted to put in the time but I chose not to follow that path. Even today my finances are just enough to get by but I have never heard an old man say that he wished he had spent more time at the office and this was the essence of what Barbara would tell young people.

No comments:

Post a Comment