Saturday, September 19, 2020

School online

A few years ago, I took an online chemistry course at the local college and was pleasantly surprised. I am a morning person so at 5 AM I could go online and watch the lecture. If I didn't get something I could back up and review. If I still didn't understand, I could open a new window and go to youtube to see other examples and other explanations. I could open word and take notes as I watched. If I wanted a break, I could just pause. The virus has exposed high school students to distant learning as many college students have already been doing. I know many teachers and most do a good job but there are a few who are outstanding. They get the students excited about learning. Instead of having 75 students per day imagine this teacher in front of 7,500 students or even 75,000. Even the text books could be online. The one chemistry book I purchased cost $120. Since I just audited my course, I didn't do the lab but for most students they would go on campus once or twice a week for lab work and test taking. This is the college and maybe high school of the future. In high school the teacher could control undisciplined students by shutting off their mike and let their parents watch their behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment