Tuesday, March 23, 2021

CRT

The latest new thing on the horizon is something called critical race theory (CRT). It is somewhat of a mystery to most people and difficult to understand to many. The basic premises are: 1.Recognizing that race is not biologically real but is socially constructed. Race is the product of social thought and is not connected to biological reality. 2.Acknowledgment that racism is a normal feature of society and is embedded within systems and institutions. 3.Rejection of the popular thinking that racism is just limited to a few bad apples when in fact it is systemic. 4.Recognition of how racism effects the everyday lives of people of color. The question is what if anything can be done about racism. There are different types of racism. Internalized. What you think and feel about racism. Interpersonal. How you treat and react with others. Institutional. Policies and practices that reinforce racist standards within the community. Many steps have been taken to minimize and remove institutional racism things like affirmative action. The way to change the way people think and feel must start in the home. You can best learn how to treat people with dignity and respect from your parents assuming they have learned that from their parents. One simple example occurred to me when I left Florida and sold my condo to a Black couple. I left a note for them and it said when I look at you on the outside, I see how we are different but when I look at you on the inside, I see how we are the same. I believe that is the message that number 1 is offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment