Sunday, September 28, 2014

Eat in

I took my grandson to baseball practice about a 40 minute drive from here and while I was waiting for him I got a newspaper and went to McDonalds to read and do the puzzle. I was sitting near the front and a young couple with two kids, about 8 and 10 came in. I didn’t hear what they ordered but the bill came to $25 and I got to thinking about my home made vegetable soup. It costs me $10 and it makes 6 quarts or about 200 ounces or 50 cents for a ten ounce bowl. If I add to that two pieces of whole wheat toast with butter, an 8 oz. glass of whole milk and an apple the whole thing costs $25 for four meals. These people could eat a much healthier meal at home for four nights for the same price as one night out. They would have a family meal around the kitchen table where they could talk about the days activities without interruption. I can make other meals for the same price. Meat loan with potatoes and gravy, carrots , buns and milk. Same with roast pork. Many families live from pay check to pay check and they could eat healthier and cheaper if they wanted to change their eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment