Sunday, September 28, 2014

Medicare booklet

Today in the mail I received my annual copy of the, “Medicare and You”, booklet. It is 152 pages of insurance information printed in color telling me all about Medicare. I have no idea what this cost but I have a pretty good idea of how many will read this booklet and it is very few. I spent 25 years sitting across the kitchen table in people’s homes, talking about such matters as insurance and from my perspective I don’t know anyone including myself who will read this booklet. On top of that I can predict that if some brave soul did decide to read it they wouldn’t get much out of it. On rare occasions I would come across some person who knew that Part A was for hospital and Part B for doctor but that was about the extent of the average person’s knowledge of Medicare. So the question comes up, as to why the government is sending this booklet out, to the 39 million Medicare recipients, if only a few will read it and even fewer will understand it? The answer is that congress feels they are doing their duty of informing the citizens about Medicare. I believe this shows they are out of touch with the ordinary citizen

No comments:

Post a Comment