Friday, March 16, 2012

Attitude

When we lived in Grand Forks, I would drive by the North Dakota School for the Blind and about once per week I would see the students out walking. Each would have a teacher by their side and some would be in wheel chairs. These kids were not just blind but most had serious physical impairments. Their limbs were deformed and they had difficulty in maintaining their balance. As I continued on to work I would realize that whatever is was I was worrying about, it wasn’t worth it. Seeing these students on a regular basis had a rather profound influence on my way of looking at the world. I came to understand, that every morning, I get to choose what kind of day I am going to have. Would I see the glass half full or half empty? The choice would be mine. On days when I tended toward the negative I would think about those kids and I would start to count my blessing. I had two good arms and two good legs. I could see and hear. I had food to eat and a place to sleep. I lived in the greatest country on earth. Soon my attitude would change and I would feel upbeat about the day.
Years later I find myself doing much the same thing even though the Blind School is a thing of the past. When I take my walks in the morning, I go through a verbal ritual where I remind myself of the good things about my life. I have always been blessed with good health but a year ago, I suddenly had some severe pain in my arms and shoulders and I got kind of depressed. I had been spoiled with my good health and this was something new for me. When I realized what was happening, I made up my mind to start counting my blessings and after a while I regained a positive attitude. A few months later I started going to the chiropractor and after a few months he had me back to normal. After that experience I developed a new respect for people who have health problems.
Through all of this I came to understand that the two most powerful words in the English language are the words, “I am”, for whatever follows those words is what I am in fact. My mind hears the words that I speak and acts accordingly. Since I am created in the image of God, I can say with full confidence that I am loving, I am kind, I am gentle, I am caring, I am feeling, I am patient, I am helpful, I am healthy, I am wealthy, I am wise, I am giving, I am forgiving and I am thanksgiving. I am quite convinced that speaking these words out loud has made a real difference in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment