Thursday, January 3, 2019

Cars today

When I started driving in 1953 the price of gas was 20 cents per gallon. I you increase that by the inflation rate gas today would be $2.04 per gallon which is just about where it is today but with one important difference. My car in the 50's got 15 mpg but my car today gets 30 mpg. My car in the 50's would be kaput at 100,000 miles and my car today has 260,000 miles on it. My car in the 50's had to replace things like batteries, mufflers, shocks and brakes two or three times as often as my car today. Air pollution by cars has been reduced by 98%. By replacing gasoline with natural gas a further 30% reduction can be achieved. The way an assembly line product like a car lasts today is a credit to new manufacturing methods and a great benefit to consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment