Sunday, January 20, 2019

Student loans

I graduated high school in 1955 and like my friends before me, I intended to go into the Air Force and then go to college on the GI Bill. Unfortunately they stopped the GI Bill that year and so I just went to work full time and school part time. Nine years later I graduated from Miami University of Ohio. I had a good job, nine years work experience and money in the bank. Today students can graduate in four or five years with no job, no work experience and $40,000 in debt because of student loans. Student loan debt currently stands at $1.5 trillion and growing rapidly. The average interest rate on these government loans is 5.8% when CD's are paying half that. The unintended consequence of student loans is that colleges raised tuition as these loans became available although many feel this should have been anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment