Monday, November 7, 2011

Debt deal

We are hearing in the news that the debt reduction deal was for 917 billion in spending cuts over the next It reminds me of my wife who found something on sale and says she saved $50. The difference is that she takes our $100 and spends $50 and says we saved $50. The government borrows $100, spends $50 and claims to have saved $50 when in fact they are now $150 in the hole when you count the $50 they spent and the $100 they borrowed.
There is a big difference in spending less than you planned and spending less.
ten years. Please understand that this is Washington speak. What they mean is that they have lowered expected increases in spending over the next ten years. As far as actual cuts there is very little.
It is like me saying I was going to increase my spending next month by $100 but I decided to only spend $80 so I saved $20. If that would work I would say I am going to increase spending next month by one million but instead I only increased by $100 so I saved $999,900 and with that savings I am going to retire.

No comments:

Post a Comment