Friday, February 3, 2023

Disruptive students

There are news items about violence in schools on a regular basis and some say it is because everyone has a camera. Many people do not understand what teachers are up against. Here is an example. When I sub, I don't walk before school so I walk around the classroom. If a student is talking loud enough for me to hear them, I usually catch their eye and that quiets them. If that doesn't work, I go and stand by them and that usually works. But if that doesn't do it, I ask them if they would like to go and get a drink of water and this they normally go for since they get out of class. I then stand by the door and wait for them to return. I meet them at the door and say something to this effect. We only have 20 minutes left in class and I am here for only one day and I don't want to cause anybody any grief so help me out here and see if we can make it to the end of class. That worked every time but once. On that occasion the student kept acting up so I was forced to call the office for help. The assistant principal came into the room and I didn't have to point out the student as he knew who it was and asked the student to come out in the hall. In about a minute or two they came back in and the student sat down in his chair. As the assistant was leaving he turned to me and said, you know he's not learning any thing when he is out in the hall. The the student began once again talking in a loud voice. When a regular teacher has this type of problem they will be accused of not being able to control their classroom. It is true that the student is not learning when he is in the hall but when he is in the room no students are learning. He is the center of attention and not the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment