Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Women's loans

Discrimination against women has been around since civilization began and many rights have only recently been established. The disparity in wages is the most talked about issue but others just as important were holding women back. For most men my age it was of little importance until we had a grown up daughter and then we were up in arms demanding changes. I recall a time in the early 70's my wife decided she wanted her own car so I told her to find one and go to the bank and get a loan. The man at the bank called me and said my wife was down there asking for a loan so I said take care of it. He asked if I was coming down and I got a little upset. I knew this guy very well and I told him that he knew better and she got the loan without my cosigning. This was pre 1974 when banks could refuse mortgage loans to women unless their husbands cosigned. A single women could be turned down flat. Black men got the right to vote in 1870 fifty years before women. Women could not own property in all states until 1900 some 30 years after Black men.

No comments:

Post a Comment