Tuesday, January 31, 2023

NIMBY

There is a wealthy pro basketball player who owns a $30 million dollar home near Atlanta and he is upset because the city plans to build less expensive homes nearby. I bring this up because back in the 50's when I bought my first home there was a Broadway play called, A Raisin in the Sun. It was about a Black family that wanted to move into an all White neighborhood and they were not welcome. The problem was portrayed as racism when it was also economics. The homes cost $10,000 and they estimated the homes would lose 20% of their value. At the time I suggested that if the Black family was some famous movie star and the value would increase 20% there would have been fewer complaints. This basketball player is Black and his concern is not racism but economics. This was the point I tried to make those many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment