Tuesday, January 11, 2022

STEM

Yesterday I subbed at Park High and for the first time in almost two years I led the lesson. It was algebra 2 and they just started a new section on graphing functions. I didn't follow the way the teacher might have done because I am a chalk and blackboard kind of guy but this method worked for many years and algebra today is the same as it was in years past. Before the pandemic it was normal for me to help with the lesson but that is no longer the case. Most days I just tell the students to look for their assignment on their chrombooks and then I babysit. While a few students can learn this way most cannot and even under the best of conditions many struggle with algebra. Without algebra these students will not have a career in STEM, something the country is in dire need.

No comments:

Post a Comment