Friday, January 14, 2022

Subs

As most everyone is aware there is a shortage of substitute teachers. The best subs are retired teachers who come back to work in their old areas of expertise. The next best are retired teacher who come back in any area and finally there those, like myself, who have no teaching experience. While I have knowledge of the subject matter I am not a teacher. I can teach in math and science but I am limited. I can stand at the blackboard and solve problems but it the student doesn't understand all I can do is solve more problem. I have subbed as a co-teacher in math class and I observed how they use a different approach at times to help the student understand. Math is taking a big hit with this mess in the schools. Each year is dependent of what was learned the year before. A freshman student who does not understand fractions which were supposed to be learned in eighth grade, is in trouble. Once you get behind in math it just snow balls. This all comes crashing down in the junior year where algebra 2 and chemistry are required course. That is a mistake. If you are going to study science or engineering then these coursed are necessary otherwise they are not. It is very disheartening to sit is a classroom were 6 to 8 students have no idea what is going on they are so far behind there is no way to help them. Perhaps if the teacher could work one on one with this student they could overcome this deficiency but there is not time for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment