Sunday, February 20, 2022

Daytona

This morning I witnessed a blast from the past when Richard Petty was on TV at the Daytona 500 which he has won 7 times. In 1970 I was at the Duquoin State Fair and watched Petty win the final grand national run on a dirt track. He won of course as he had 8 other times in Duquoin. I was not a big racing fan but I was living in Terre Haute, IN and I drove over to meet my sister who came over from Spfld, IL. She and her husband were racing fans. They had a camper and we spent the night there enjoying the festivities which were nothing compared to what happens in Daytona. It was more than 50 years ago but I remember the excitement as though it were yesterday. The grand stand had 3000 seats compared to Daytona's 125,000. Different times different places but a race is still a race. On a different subject but interesting fact is that on the way home I stopped at a road side stand to buy an apple. Southern Illinois is a big apple growing area. The apples are winesaps and they are the size of a small grape fruit. There were three in a bag and I asked how much and the guy says would 15 cents be too much. Of course I was only earning $600 a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment