Saturday, October 1, 2022

Naples

When I first retired in April of 1995, I moved to Naples, FL. Late that summer Hurricane Erin hit the east coast of Florida and move across the state and dropped 16 inches of rain on Naples in one day. Several streets flooded and people wrote letters to the editor complaining about a foot of water at some intersections. I recall thinking that of all the dozen cities I lived in if they had that much rain in that short of time period they would have had a serious problem. I do remember that small fish fell with the rain. They were scooped up in the Atlantic and dropped in the Gulf. The water was about 3 feet deep on Gulf Shore Blvd the road that parallels the ocean and there were large fish swimming in the water. I saw a Tarpon about 5 feet long jump out of the water. Later that year Hurricane Opal moved right up the center of the Gulf and causes a lot of rain and some flooding. But the Gulf is about 1,000 miles across over to Texas so the storm itself was about 500 miles off shore. When a hurricane is coming that is the major conversation of the residence.

No comments:

Post a Comment