Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Speech

Now that the Musk purchase of Twitter is in the news again the subject of disinformation is also in the news. Free speech means I can say anything that is not illegal which means I can lie. I can say that the Covid started in a lab in China. I can say that vaccines don't work. I can say the election was rigged. What we cannot have is some authority figure deciding what is true. You need only look to the past to find out how many things that were considered true, were not and how many things that were called lies turned out to be true. The best free speech is when everyone can have a platform to express their opinions with the caveat that you cannot break the law. People must be allowed to determine for themselves what is true to them and in doing so they will make mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment