Friday, August 19, 2022

Change

Time passes and people change. As a young man anything new was a challenge and I would investigate. I recall the first time I saw a digital watch and I went to the library to find out how it worked. This attitude stayed with me for most of my life but I saw the first change when technology caught up with me. I was the first and only agent in our office in 1982 to have a computer but slowly as more tech came along I started to lose confidence in my ability to keep up. In time it was no longer worth the effort to keep up as things were changing faster and faster. The same thing was happening in society as a whole. First it was finding out that alcoholism is a disease and not a moral weakness. Next when my nephew came out and I understood what the gay life was all about but recently even social changes have become more than I can handle. When first graders are taught about gender affirmation and young people are using medical procedures to help them change genders I am lost. At age 85 I have become one of those old people I used to criticize, the kind of people who just don't understand the younger generation. I shudder to think of what is coming. They are already talking about designer babies. Will human and animal DNA be combined to give humans certain valuable animal characteristics like an athlete with cat like quickness. Has Aldous Huxley's , "Brave New World" come to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment